Thursday, February 2, 2012

Is there a home loan for a person with $60k in student loans and no

I am a single parent who just finished college. I have $60k in student loans and no savings to speak of. I have an amazing offer to purchase a home for what the current owner owes on it, but I don’t know where to even start looking for a bank/agency who will give me a loan with my background. Any advice?

You don’t want to buy a house with no down payment. I made that mistake two years ago, and barely avoided foreclosure. Just wait until you’ve paid down your student loans and you have at least 20 – 30% for your down payment. Besides given the current financial market, you’ll be hard pressed to find a lender willing to give you a loan without a significant down payment.

When buying a house make sure the mortgage payment, insurance, taxes, and HOA is no more than rent for a comparable place. that way in case you want to move you can "ladder" the property. meaning you can rent it out and move elsewhere. The rent will cover the monthly expenses and you’ll benefit from any appreciation.

Posted home loans |


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment